Orthopaedic care you can trust.
Founded in 1999, Alpine Orthopaedics has become one of the top orthopaedic care practices on the Western Slope. We provide a wide range of services, from patient education and injury prevention, to minimally-invasive intervention and surgical repair. Our physicians are fellowship trained in Sports Medicine, which means they have additional training in complex knee, shoulder, and sports-related injuries. We believe that surgery should always be the last resort, and work to alleviate your pain and injuries as conservatively as possible.
Schedule an appointment today!
Dr. Gloria M. Beim // Founder, M.D.
Dr. Gloria Beim founded Alpine Orthopaedics in 1999, and sees patients in Gunnison, Crested Butte, and Telluride. She began college at age 14, quickly earning her medical degree before moving on to earn Orthopaedic credentials and complete Fellowship training in Sports Medicine. Gloria is Board Certified in both Sports Medicine and Arthroplasty, and has had the honor of being selected for many appointments by the United States Olympic Committee to care for the athletes of Team USA.
- Tendon pain/damage
EDUCATION (click here for curriculum vitae)
- Received her M.D. at University of California at San Diego
- Earned her Orthopaedic credentials at the New York Orthopaedic Hospital at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
- Fellowship training at the University of Pittsburgh Center for Sports Medicine
- Team Physician for US Ski Team at the 2003 Winter World University Games in Tarvisio, Italy
- Team Physician for US Cycling and Taekwondo at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece
- CMO for Team USA at the 2005 World University Games in Izmir, Turkey
- CMO for Team USA at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico
- Venue Medical Director for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England
- CMO for the Team USA at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia
- CMO for Team USA at the 2015 Para PanAm Games in Toronto, Canada
- CMO for Team USA at the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
- Head Team Physician for Western State Colorado University (WSCU) Athletics
- Upcoming: CMO for Team USA at the 2018 Paralympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea
- See the "Women Who Rock" section in MTNtown magazine for an interview with Dr. Beim
- Dr. Beim featured on The Today Show
Dr. Blake M. Clifton // M.D.
Dr. Clifton is fellowship trained in Adult and Pediatric Sports Medicine. He has worked with many teams at the high school and college levels, including Texas Tech and University of New Mexico. His tenures include Team Physician for the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) and University of New Mexico Lobo Athletics, 2014–2015. He has had the privilege of working with many notable orthopaedic surgeons, including Dr. Robert Johnson, and studied ski injuries on the slopes of Sugarbush Mountain Resort.
- Joint replacement
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Complex shoulder
EDUCATION (click here for curriculum vitae)
- Earned his Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science from Brigham Young University
- Attended medical school at the University of Vermont in Burlington, Vermont
- Completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Texas Tech University
- Received fellowship training in Adult and Pediatric Sports Medicine at the University of New Mexico
- Provided medical assistance for the Texas Tech Red Raider Football program
- Team Physician for UNM Lobo Athletics
- Team Physician for WCSU Athletics
Amy Sandusky // PA-C
Amy McMillan Sandusky has been an integral part of the Alpine Orthopaedics team since 2007, working mostly in our Crested Butte office and assisting our physicians in surgery. Amy started her medical training through the local volunteer EMS system as an EMT. Her goal then was to become a certified physician assistant, and then return to Gunnison Valley to work with Dr. Beim. Amy is not only a nationally certified Physician Assistant, but she has also achieved a Certificate of Added Qualifications (CAQ) in Orthopaedics.
- Received her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from Lewis and Clark College
- Achieved a Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree from Rocky Mountain College
- Earned a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Orthopaedics
Dr. Beim has been honored by the US Olympic Committee to serve as:
US Team Physician for the 2004 Olympics in Athens // Venue Medical Director for the 2012 Olympic Games in London // CMO for the Team USA at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi // CMO for the 2016 Paralympics in Rio De Janeiro // CMO for the 2018 Paralympics in South Korea
Physicians fellowship trained in Sports Medicine
Specializing in complex knee, shoulder and hand injuries
Advanced training in pediatric Sports Medicine
State-of-the-art Digital XRAY equipment
Diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound capabilities
24/7 Injury Care
Top-rated, cost effective ambulatory surgery center
Fracture, dislocation and laceration care
Patient prescription service to save travel to Gunnison
Scheduled appointments and walk-ins
Total joint replacement services
I have had multiple procedures performed in Dr. Beim’s Surgery Center. I can’t speak highly enough about her first rate facility and highly competent staff. My outcomes have always been excellent.
- Janella Cox, R.N.